The Relaxation Zone

Come here and just talk about anything to anyone, unwind, listen to some music, play some games, and just relax.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsnyanyanyanRegisterLog in

Share | 

Woolly Mammoth to be cloned

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ZXoftheDarkness
Head Admin / Founder

Male Aries Rooster
Birthday : 1993-04-09
Activity Points : 2777
Favorite Activities : Writing, Listening to Music, Graphics Design, Modding, Gaming, Watching Anime, Hanging with Friends, Singing, Photography, Music Composition and Sleeping
Favorite Game : Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

PostSubject: Woolly Mammoth to be cloned   Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:32 pm

http://news.discovery.com/animals/woolly-mammoth-cloned-111205.html

Basically in short, they found the bone marrow of a dead mammoth that and Japanese scientists are going to extract the DNA from it and raise a Mammoth. This is how they plan to do it -
Quote :
The key to cloning the woolly mammoth is to replace the nuclei of egg cells from an elephant with those extracted from the mammoth's bone marrow cells. Doing this, according to the researchers, can result in embryos with mammoth DNA.
- From The Article

To be honest, I think it will be quite interesting to see if they can successfully raise a baby mammoth and what they end up doing with it.
Multiple things are most likely going to happen once the Mammoth is cloned, the sad thing is, if the Mammoth isn't given gentle care, then bad things are most likely going to happen.

But something else disturbs me greatly, we are taking our conquest to gain knowledge and power too far. The people who cultivate the Mammoth are most likely going to get a lot of money off of it, as this is possibly one of the most monumental undertakings in science to date (in my opinion).
I suppose this is what people of certain religious beliefs would be calling "playing god". But then again, the human race was a major reason for the extinction of the mammoth in the first place, so I assume this is a method of what people would call "cleaning up our own mistakes".

What are your thoughts on this?

Michael Vampire avatar and Sasuke signature made by me

Feel free to ask me any questions if you have any!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://therelaxationzone.forumotion.com
Erthefrarg

Male Scorpio Pig
Birthday : 1995-11-02
Activity Points : 2258
Favorite Activities : fapfapfapfapfap
Favorite Game : Spyro 3, Mario Sunshine, Pokemon

PostSubject: Re: Woolly Mammoth to be cloned   Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:39 pm

i know this mammoth won't live long, if it does at all. they can't know much about mammoths, so there's no way they can sustain it. it is interesting, but pointless nonetheless. there are going to be a bunch of hippies protesting it, and that's it (i'll never use the word 'hippies' again). the japs will keep with it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ShadowQ

Male Aquarius Buffalo
Birthday : 1998-01-25
Activity Points : 2229
Favorite Activities : Video Games, Music, Being a disgrace to my family, Failing that chemistry text because I was too busy playing Skyrim, Watching TobyGames on Youtube
Favorite Game : Fallout 3

PostSubject: Re: Woolly Mammoth to be cloned   Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:08 pm

Woah man we've come far with science but I don't think they should be doing this, I think they'd probably end up hurting the mammoth.

LightningSpike
Global Moderator

Male Sagittarius Pig
Birthday : 1995-12-16
Activity Points : 2302
Favorite Game : Team Fortress 2

PostSubject: Re: Woolly Mammoth to be cloned   Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:49 pm

I don't see the problem with it, as long as it's handled properly. There are a lot of things that could make this bad, like greed and the likes, but as long as that stuff doesn't happen, I think it's interesting. Even then, it would probably be too expensive to do this on a smaller scale (like to clone ourselves, for example). So for right now we're safe from clone armies staging coups.

PostSubject: Re: Woolly Mammoth to be cloned   

Back to top Go down

Woolly Mammoth to be cloned
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1