The Relaxation Zone
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Relaxation Zone

Come here and just talk about anything to anyone, unwind, listen to some music, play some games, and just relax.

HomeSearchLatest imagesnyanyanyanRegisterLog in

Escape the Fate - This War Is Ours [Album Review]

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ZXoftheDarkness
Head Admin / Founder
ZXoftheDarkness

Male Aries Rooster
Birthday : 1993-04-09
Activity Points : 5210
Favorite Activities : Writing, Listening to Music, Graphics Design, Modding, Gaming, Watching Anime, Hanging with Friends, Singing, Photography, Music Composition and Sleeping
Favorite Game : Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Escape the Fate - This War Is Ours [Album Review] Empty
PostSubject: Escape the Fate - This War Is Ours [Album Review]   Escape the Fate - This War Is Ours [Album Review] I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 3:36 am

This War Is Ours (Deluxe Special Edition) by Escape the Fate

Reviewed by ZXoftheDarkness on July 7th 2011
Reposted on February 4th 2012

Album Artwork:
Escape the Fate - This War Is Ours [Album Review] ETFDE
Genre - Metal / Post-Hardcore

Music Staff:

Escape the Fate
Craig Mabbitt – lead vocals
Bryan Money – lead guitar, rhythm guitar, acoustics guitars, keyboards, vocals
Max Green – bass, vocals
Robert Ortiz – drums, percussion, vocals

Production
John Feldmann – production, engineer, mixing
Brett Allen – credits director
Matt Appleton – engineer
Casey Howard – art direction, illustrations
Kyle Moorman – engineer
David Neely – credits director
John Nicholson – drum technician
Joey Simmrin – management
Adam Topol – credits director

Additional musicians
Josh Todd – co-lead vocals on "10 Miles Wide", backing vocals on "Harder Than You Know", composer
Shawn "Clown" Crahan – remixer on "This War Is Mine"
Matt Appleton – keyboards, synthesizers, horn, ukelele, churango, vocals
John Feldmann – keyboards, percussion, programming, composer, vocals
Kyle Moorman – kalimba, vocals
Jess Neilson – flute
Julian Feldmann – vocals
Benji Madden – vocals

Introduction: Whatever you have heard about this band. Don't account that into your judgement, go into this album with an open mind. This band generates so much hate, yet they make some really damn good music. This band mainly generates hate because their old singer (Ronnie Radke, who is one of the most perverted, dickhole guys I have ever had the displeasure of reading about) got thrown in prison and thus had to leave the band. Craig (the vocalist on this album) took over. People wanted Ronnie back, but I have to say, Craig fit into Escape the Fate almost perfectly, this album is one of the few albums in any of the "core" genre's which I enjoyed. The only thing which I had a bit of a complaint about were the simplicity of the lyrics on some of the songs, I feel that some of the lyrical content in the song lagged behind the rest of the band, I know Craig can write better, but he didn't use his full potential on some of the songs on this album, and as such, the lyrics seemed rather generic. Despite these shortcomings, this became one of my favorite albums rather quickly. Let's dive into a track by track review.

Song Titles:

No.TitleLength
1."We Won't Back Down" 3:31
2."On to the Next One" 3:08
3."Ashley" 3:27
4."Something" 3:38
5."The Flood" 3:33
6."Let It Go" 3:29
7."You Are So Beautiful" 2:48
8."This War Is Ours (The Guillotine II)" 4:27
9."10 Miles Wide" (feat. Josh Todd of Buckcherry)2:48
10."Harder Than You Know" 4:20
11."It's Just Me" 4:58
12."Bad Blood" 4:17
13."Behind the Mask" 3:15
14."Harder Than You Know" (Acoustic Version)4:19
15."This War Is Mine" (Shawn "Clown" Crahan Remix)5:42

Track 1: We Won't Back Down:
Man this song has some great guitar, great riffs, it's littered with solos every 15 seconds or so. What I really like also was the inclusion of a slow ballad combined with angelic guitars in the background. The only thing I don't like about this song are the vocals and the main solo, Craig just doesn't seem up to par in the vocal department, and I feel like the solo was a bit trashed. Still a good song though.
Track Rating: 7.4/10 (Good)

Track 2: On to the Next One:
Generic boring song. Everything seems behind. Not recommended, one of the worst on the album.
Track Rating: 5.6/10 (Average)

Track 3: Ashley:
This song has some great instrumentals, while it's not one of my favorites on the album, it has a nice mix of slow acoustic instrumentals combined with the usual blistering guitar, however, the general feel of the song got rather boring about a quarter of the way into the song. Also the lyrics could be quite a bit better, Craig has way more talent than the lyrical mess on this song. No matter how you look at it, this is a mixed bag of a song.
Track Rating: 6.3/10 (Above Average)

Track 4: Something:
One of the softer songs on the album, yet also one of the better songs on the album. This song has some unique instruments, but what really shines the most in this song is Craig's vocals, he may seem a bit stale at first, but it really shows off his vocal range if you listen to the full song. Along with this, the combination of the blistering solo later in the song with Craig's vocals make it even better. Adding even further to the mood of the song, the random soft sections which focus mainly on the unique acoustical instruments in the band and Craig's voice, which really set this song apart from the rest of the album. Recommended.
Track Rating: 9.3/10 (Amazing)

Track 5: The Flood:
Ahh, Craig seemed like he had a lot of fun on this album, great guitars, decent screams, but damn the singing was good, Craig's singing ability is far better than his screaming ability, but he can actually scream rather well, so it balances out in this song. The drums weren't that bad as well.
Track Rating: 8.5/10 (Very Good)

Track 6: Let It Go:
Fuck no, this sounds like something you would hear on the fucking Disney channel, stay clear of this horrible song. Bland and boring as hell.
Track Rating: 3.2/10 (Bad)

Track 7: You Are So Beautiful:
This song has some great natural melody. Nice instrumentals and good consistency, it also lacks breakdowns, which I enjoy... and I mean I REALLY enjoy it... There isn't much else to say about this song. Great guitars and instruments as usual.
Track Rating: 9.1/10 (Absolutely Amazing)

Track 8: This War Is Ours (The Guillotine II):
This is what I was looking for on this album. This song opens up with a vocal and drum build up which leads into an absolute mind numbing solo which then leads into screaming vocals. Solos and jumps between blood curdling screams and harsh vocals emanate through this song. Then the song slows down into an acoustical ballad featuring some of Craig's best vocals on the album, which then dives into one of the most brain blowing solos I have heard in a while. The chorus work in this song is amazing as well. This song really shows what the band as a whole can do, they can alternate and jump into so many different genre's of music with such flow and skill, but still keep their signature sound. My second favorite song on the album. The only thing I don't like about it is the rather generic break down at the very end of the song, however the break down has great riffs, so it balances it out. highly recommended.
Track Rating: 9.5/10 (Absolutely Amazing)

Track 9: 10 Miles Wide:
Oh man this song has some badass riffs, and it has great flow as well. The singer from Buckcherry was an interesting guest star to have do vocals in this song, however I have to say, it worked, it worked really damn well. Great guitar work as well, the top notch solos that you can expect from this band are abundant here.
Track Rating: 9.2/10 (Amazing)

Track 10: Harder Than You Know:
I honestly didn't expect a song like this on the record. However, it turned out being my favorite song on the album, it's a rather slow acoustical with violins, soft guitar, piano, and a numerous amount of other instruments. Craig's vocals are the best here, if you are going to check out a song from this album, check out this one, you won't regret it.
Track Rating: 9.7/10 (Absolutely Amazing)

Track 11: It's Just Me:
God damn this song is catchy, and unique, not really much to say about this song either, all I can say is that this song is that it is one of the catchiest songs on the album. Listen if you want to get addicted to a song.
Track Rating: 8.5/10 (Very Good)

Track 12: Bad Blood:
Great guitar work, the combination of screams and guitar balance really well within this song, what I love best about this song is the creepy early 1900's tribute intro, very unique, haven't seen it in this genre of music before.
Track Rating: 9.4/10 (Amazing)

Track 13: Behind the Mask:
Rather generic song, this song needs to stay a bonus track.
Track Rating: 5.6/10 (Average)

Track 14: Harder Than You Know (Acoustic):
Shouldn't have been made, it seems like a near copy paste of the original, and is nowhere near as good in my opinion, listen to the non acoustic version.
Track Rating: 4.5/10 (Below Average)

Track 15: This War Is Mine" (Shawn "Clown" Crahan Remix):
Really scattered remix of the song "This War is Ours", Shawn "Clown" Crahan is one of the members of the band Slipknot, so he's pretty damn talented, I think he made a pretty good version of the song. I like it, however I think he screwed up the chorus vocals compared to the original version.
Track Rating: 9.4/10 (Amazing)

Overall Album Rating:
7.68 (Good)

Final Words:
A pretty awesome and extremely underrated album, this band deserves a lot more attention than it actually gets and does not deserve all the hate that it gets.
Back to top Go down
https://therelaxationzone.forumotion.com

Escape the Fate - This War Is Ours [Album Review]
Page 1 of 1