The Relaxation Zone

Come here and just talk about anything to anyone, unwind, listen to some music, play some games, and just relax.
 
HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsnyanyanyanRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Religion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
LightningSpike
Global Moderator
avatar

Male Sagittarius Pig
Posts : 223
Age : 21
Birthday : 1995-12-16
Activity Points : 2416
Reputation : 1
Favorite Game : Team Fortress 2

PostSubject: Religion   Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:42 pm

With the Super Bowl topic exploding with religion discussion, I figured we needed this.

Discuss!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/LightningSpike
ZXoftheDarkness
Head Admin / Founder
avatar

Male Aries Rooster
Posts : 460
Age : 24
Birthday : 1993-04-09
Activity Points : 2891
Reputation : 3
Location : Writing
Favorite Activities : Writing, Listening to Music, Graphics Design, Modding, Gaming, Watching Anime, Hanging with Friends, Singing, Photography, Music Composition and Sleeping
Favorite Game : Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:42 pm

Well, I'm an Atheist
For those who don't know what that means, it means that I don't believe in a deity / deities of any kind and to be honest I hate what "Catholicism" and "Christianity" have become, even though I do not believe in any sort of god.
As for religion itself, the catholic church is corrupt, but you shouldn't base your entire judgement on the religion because of a few bad management facilities, there's a whole lot of things that are purely wrong with what "religion" has become today.

1. Too many people believe that the bible's stories are actually real.
Explanation: Simple, a lot of people think the great flood actually happened, a lot of people the garden of eden was a real place. If we look at how far science has taken us, you'll notice that multiple things prevent the most obvious bible stories from being true. Most of you will agree that it's basically common sense that the garden of eden and the tale of Noah's ark were just metaphorical stories, but there are some people who actually believe that it was a real place and that the great flood which Noah built an ark for actually happened.

A. Evolution (Doesn't need explanation)
B. Ecosystem and animal behavior. (It is completely impossible to fit two of every single animal species in existence onto an ark, not only would it be impossible to find two of every animal and keep them from running away and eating each other / other things. Besides, did he heard in two of every bacteria, insect and parasite? Impossible.
C. Plants. In the story, nothing was said about plants, plants undergo photosynthesis, which takes carbon dioxide and turns it into organic minerals needed for survival, if all plant life was eradicated during the flood, pretty soon, the earth would become nearly uninhabitable for mankind and other animals that rely on such minerals.

2. Too many people think that a deity wrote the bible
The bible was written by man, therefore the stories could have been made up by anyone. Think of it as being similar to Greek mythology. It was made as a way for people to explain what they could not understand, so they attributed lightning to Zeus. It was the same thing, although the reason that Christianity came out on top over Greek mythology is because the Christian religion promised a happy afterlife, and those people who were religious wanted to believe that there was something after death like that.

3. Ridiculous rituals and praises.
If I was a deity, I would be severely disappointed in the "praises" that people come up with, such as the silly church celebrations where you bow to a cup of wine and listen to songs all the time. Unfortunately, for other religions, to Christians, their behavior is "similar to that of a cult" according to most of them, what most Christians don't realize is that all of their traditions are practically the same.

4. Using the church's "vow of secrecy"
How people can confess anything to the priest (I believe it's the priest? Not sure, too lazy to look it up.) Someone can confess to a priest that they are going to murder or have murdered someone, and the priest (by the rules of the church) isn't allowed to tell. The worst part is, if the police find out that the priest knew, they can't charge the priest because of the stupid religious laws, has anyone ever heard of separation of church and state?

5. Satanism
Probably the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of, Christians view it as demonic and evil. I just laugh at the very concept, I don't even believe in a deity, so the existence of a devil is even more ridiculous to me, and to think that people actually worship a devil like that is absolutely hilarious.

Basically, if I was a deity, I would hate what people have made the religions out to be. If I was a deity, I would just want people to be kind and true to each other, to help each other and to give to those in need. Going to church every Sunday or other bogus bullshit like that wouldn't be a priority.

Yep... I just typed that all out lol

_____________________________________

Michael Vampire avatar and Sasuke signature made by me

Feel free to ask me any questions if you have any!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://therelaxationzone.forumotion.com
thomas

avatar

Male Pisces Buffalo
Posts : 178
Age : 20
Birthday : 1997-03-13
Activity Points : 2350
Reputation : 2
Favorite Game : SSBB

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:51 pm

ew. just ew
im not all that opinionated on this subject
And, by the way, satanism for some is a way to mock religion. They don't all actually worship and believe in Satan, they just live for self-pleasure in a sense, without the moral rules of religion.

_____________________________________


Last edited by thomas on Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZXoftheDarkness
Head Admin / Founder
avatar

Male Aries Rooster
Posts : 460
Age : 24
Birthday : 1993-04-09
Activity Points : 2891
Reputation : 3
Location : Writing
Favorite Activities : Writing, Listening to Music, Graphics Design, Modding, Gaming, Watching Anime, Hanging with Friends, Singing, Photography, Music Composition and Sleeping
Favorite Game : Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:53 pm

thomas wrote:
ew. just ew
im not all that opinionated on this subject
And, by the way, satanism is so named because it mocks religion. They don't actually worship and believe in Satan, they just live for self-pleasure in a sense, without the moral rules of religion.

Don't you think they could have chosen a better name then XD

_____________________________________

Michael Vampire avatar and Sasuke signature made by me

Feel free to ask me any questions if you have any!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://therelaxationzone.forumotion.com
thomas

avatar

Male Pisces Buffalo
Posts : 178
Age : 20
Birthday : 1997-03-13
Activity Points : 2350
Reputation : 2
Favorite Game : SSBB

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:56 pm

ZXoftheDarkness wrote:
thomas wrote:
ew. just ew
im not all that opinionated on this subject
And, by the way, satanism is so named because it mocks religion. They don't actually worship and believe in Satan, they just live for self-pleasure in a sense, without the moral rules of religion.

Don't you think they could have chosen a better name then XD
Well its roots are actually worshipping Satan. But there are plenty of casual Satanists like what I described. I edited my post to clarify that.

_____________________________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZXoftheDarkness
Head Admin / Founder
avatar

Male Aries Rooster
Posts : 460
Age : 24
Birthday : 1993-04-09
Activity Points : 2891
Reputation : 3
Location : Writing
Favorite Activities : Writing, Listening to Music, Graphics Design, Modding, Gaming, Watching Anime, Hanging with Friends, Singing, Photography, Music Composition and Sleeping
Favorite Game : Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:03 pm

thomas wrote:
ZXoftheDarkness wrote:
thomas wrote:
ew. just ew
im not all that opinionated on this subject
And, by the way, satanism is so named because it mocks religion. They don't actually worship and believe in Satan, they just live for self-pleasure in a sense, without the moral rules of religion.

Don't you think they could have chosen a better name then XD
Well its roots are actually worshipping Satan. But there are plenty of casual Satanists like what I described. I edited my post to clarify that.

Ohh ok, I see. Meh, it basically seems like Atheism except with deities lol

_____________________________________

Michael Vampire avatar and Sasuke signature made by me

Feel free to ask me any questions if you have any!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://therelaxationzone.forumotion.com
thomas

avatar

Male Pisces Buffalo
Posts : 178
Age : 20
Birthday : 1997-03-13
Activity Points : 2350
Reputation : 2
Favorite Game : SSBB

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:05 pm

Either way, I think it's dumb. Not my cup of tea anyways. I mean, religion is necessary and part of our species, but I prefer to believe in nothing in particular and not put a nice little label on it. I'm bound to "worship" something, but not because someone else told me to. Because I can't help it.

_____________________________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZXoftheDarkness
Head Admin / Founder
avatar

Male Aries Rooster
Posts : 460
Age : 24
Birthday : 1993-04-09
Activity Points : 2891
Reputation : 3
Location : Writing
Favorite Activities : Writing, Listening to Music, Graphics Design, Modding, Gaming, Watching Anime, Hanging with Friends, Singing, Photography, Music Composition and Sleeping
Favorite Game : Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:06 pm

thomas wrote:
Either way, I think it's dumb. Not my cup of tea anyways. I mean, religion is necessary and part of our species, but I prefer to believe in nothing in particular and not put a nice little label on it. I'm bound to "worship" something, but not because someone else told me to. Because I can't help it.

This is where I disagree, I don't think religion is a necessity. If people need a higher being to believe in, let them make one up to make them happy. I do agree with the fact that beliefs of anyone's shouldn't have a label. Being forced into worship about something you don't believe / something you hate is absolutely horrid.

_____________________________________

Michael Vampire avatar and Sasuke signature made by me

Feel free to ask me any questions if you have any!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://therelaxationzone.forumotion.com
thomas

avatar

Male Pisces Buffalo
Posts : 178
Age : 20
Birthday : 1997-03-13
Activity Points : 2350
Reputation : 2
Favorite Game : SSBB

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:10 pm

ZXoftheDarkness wrote:
thomas wrote:
Either way, I think it's dumb. Not my cup of tea anyways. I mean, religion is necessary and part of our species, but I prefer to believe in nothing in particular and not put a nice little label on it. I'm bound to "worship" something, but not because someone else told me to. Because I can't help it.

This is where I disagree, I don't think religion is a necessity. If people need a higher being to believe in, let them make one up to make them happy. I do agree with the fact that beliefs of anyone's shouldn't have a label. Being forced into worship about something you don't believe / something you hate is absolutely horrid.
There's something in the way our brain is that makes us want to explain things. That in and of itself can be considered the core of religion. I've never heard of a naturally atheist society or race to exist in history.

_____________________________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZXoftheDarkness
Head Admin / Founder
avatar

Male Aries Rooster
Posts : 460
Age : 24
Birthday : 1993-04-09
Activity Points : 2891
Reputation : 3
Location : Writing
Favorite Activities : Writing, Listening to Music, Graphics Design, Modding, Gaming, Watching Anime, Hanging with Friends, Singing, Photography, Music Composition and Sleeping
Favorite Game : Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:18 pm

thomas wrote:
ZXoftheDarkness wrote:
thomas wrote:
Either way, I think it's dumb. Not my cup of tea anyways. I mean, religion is necessary and part of our species, but I prefer to believe in nothing in particular and not put a nice little label on it. I'm bound to "worship" something, but not because someone else told me to. Because I can't help it.

This is where I disagree, I don't think religion is a necessity. If people need a higher being to believe in, let them make one up to make them happy. I do agree with the fact that beliefs of anyone's shouldn't have a label. Being forced into worship about something you don't believe / something you hate is absolutely horrid.
There's something in the way our brain is that makes us want to explain things. That in and of itself can be considered the core of religion. I've never heard of a naturally atheist society or race to exist in history.

If there was a completely atheist society, that would be pretty awesome xD, but then again, that's what we have the internet for lol, there are atheist groups everywhere.

_____________________________________

Michael Vampire avatar and Sasuke signature made by me

Feel free to ask me any questions if you have any!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://therelaxationzone.forumotion.com
thomas

avatar

Male Pisces Buffalo
Posts : 178
Age : 20
Birthday : 1997-03-13
Activity Points : 2350
Reputation : 2
Favorite Game : SSBB

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:01 pm

ZXoftheDarkness wrote:
thomas wrote:
ZXoftheDarkness wrote:
thomas wrote:
Either way, I think it's dumb. Not my cup of tea anyways. I mean, religion is necessary and part of our species, but I prefer to believe in nothing in particular and not put a nice little label on it. I'm bound to "worship" something, but not because someone else told me to. Because I can't help it.

This is where I disagree, I don't think religion is a necessity. If people need a higher being to believe in, let them make one up to make them happy. I do agree with the fact that beliefs of anyone's shouldn't have a label. Being forced into worship about something you don't believe / something you hate is absolutely horrid.
There's something in the way our brain is that makes us want to explain things. That in and of itself can be considered the core of religion. I've never heard of a naturally atheist society or race to exist in history.

If there was a completely atheist society, that would be pretty awesome xD, but then again, that's what we have the internet for lol, there are atheist groups everywhere.
Remember. Atheism is a term and label. It could be argued to be a religion, even in being the rejection of religion.

_____________________________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZXoftheDarkness
Head Admin / Founder
avatar

Male Aries Rooster
Posts : 460
Age : 24
Birthday : 1993-04-09
Activity Points : 2891
Reputation : 3
Location : Writing
Favorite Activities : Writing, Listening to Music, Graphics Design, Modding, Gaming, Watching Anime, Hanging with Friends, Singing, Photography, Music Composition and Sleeping
Favorite Game : Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:01 pm

thomas wrote:
ZXoftheDarkness wrote:
thomas wrote:
ZXoftheDarkness wrote:
thomas wrote:
Either way, I think it's dumb. Not my cup of tea anyways. I mean, religion is necessary and part of our species, but I prefer to believe in nothing in particular and not put a nice little label on it. I'm bound to "worship" something, but not because someone else told me to. Because I can't help it.

This is where I disagree, I don't think religion is a necessity. If people need a higher being to believe in, let them make one up to make them happy. I do agree with the fact that beliefs of anyone's shouldn't have a label. Being forced into worship about something you don't believe / something you hate is absolutely horrid.
There's something in the way our brain is that makes us want to explain things. That in and of itself can be considered the core of religion. I've never heard of a naturally atheist society or race to exist in history.

If there was a completely atheist society, that would be pretty awesome xD, but then again, that's what we have the internet for lol, there are atheist groups everywhere.
Remember. Atheism is a term and label. It could be argued to be a religion, even in being the rejection of religion.

Ya it can be labeled as a religion, however as a counterargument it could be labeled as a non-religion all the same.

_____________________________________

Michael Vampire avatar and Sasuke signature made by me

Feel free to ask me any questions if you have any!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://therelaxationzone.forumotion.com
LightningSpike
Global Moderator
avatar

Male Sagittarius Pig
Posts : 223
Age : 21
Birthday : 1995-12-16
Activity Points : 2416
Reputation : 1
Favorite Game : Team Fortress 2

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:14 pm

Religion isn't bad, people who do bad things in the name of religion make it seem bad.

_____________________________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/LightningSpike
thomas

avatar

Male Pisces Buffalo
Posts : 178
Age : 20
Birthday : 1997-03-13
Activity Points : 2350
Reputation : 2
Favorite Game : SSBB

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:15 pm

Well either way, without religion, things would probably be worse. I mean, a lot of things would be better, but even more would fall to pieces.
People are people, religion or not. That's just the thing that gets blamed.

_____________________________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZXoftheDarkness
Head Admin / Founder
avatar

Male Aries Rooster
Posts : 460
Age : 24
Birthday : 1993-04-09
Activity Points : 2891
Reputation : 3
Location : Writing
Favorite Activities : Writing, Listening to Music, Graphics Design, Modding, Gaming, Watching Anime, Hanging with Friends, Singing, Photography, Music Composition and Sleeping
Favorite Game : Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:20 pm

LightningSpike wrote:
Religion isn't bad, people who do bad things in the name of religion make it seem bad.

That's the point I was making in my massive wall of text
If there was a deity, he would hate what people have made of "religion"

_____________________________________

Michael Vampire avatar and Sasuke signature made by me

Feel free to ask me any questions if you have any!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://therelaxationzone.forumotion.com
LightningSpike
Global Moderator
avatar

Male Sagittarius Pig
Posts : 223
Age : 21
Birthday : 1995-12-16
Activity Points : 2416
Reputation : 1
Favorite Game : Team Fortress 2

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:33 pm

ZXoftheDarkness wrote:
LightningSpike wrote:
Religion isn't bad, people who do bad things in the name of religion make it seem bad.

That's the point I was making in my massive wall of text
If there was a deity, he would hate what people have made of "religion"
Those are my thoughts exactly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/LightningSpike
ZXoftheDarkness
Head Admin / Founder
avatar

Male Aries Rooster
Posts : 460
Age : 24
Birthday : 1993-04-09
Activity Points : 2891
Reputation : 3
Location : Writing
Favorite Activities : Writing, Listening to Music, Graphics Design, Modding, Gaming, Watching Anime, Hanging with Friends, Singing, Photography, Music Composition and Sleeping
Favorite Game : Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:39 pm

LightningSpike wrote:
ZXoftheDarkness wrote:
LightningSpike wrote:
Religion isn't bad, people who do bad things in the name of religion make it seem bad.

That's the point I was making in my massive wall of text
If there was a deity, he would hate what people have made of "religion"
Those are my thoughts exactly.

I sometimes do wonder though, if I'm wrong, and there really is a deity up somewhere in some other dimension or something, what does he think of the human race, and the endless possible amount of alien races out in the distance.

_____________________________________

Michael Vampire avatar and Sasuke signature made by me

Feel free to ask me any questions if you have any!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://therelaxationzone.forumotion.com
thomas

avatar

Male Pisces Buffalo
Posts : 178
Age : 20
Birthday : 1997-03-13
Activity Points : 2350
Reputation : 2
Favorite Game : SSBB

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:47 pm

Who knows. I don't try to understand more than I can. I'm a tiny, insignificant organism on a tiny insignificant planet in an endless universe filled with more of them. I can't understand everything, like the "source" of everything. Who knows if there even is one.

_____________________________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZXoftheDarkness
Head Admin / Founder
avatar

Male Aries Rooster
Posts : 460
Age : 24
Birthday : 1993-04-09
Activity Points : 2891
Reputation : 3
Location : Writing
Favorite Activities : Writing, Listening to Music, Graphics Design, Modding, Gaming, Watching Anime, Hanging with Friends, Singing, Photography, Music Composition and Sleeping
Favorite Game : Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:50 pm

thomas wrote:
Who knows. I don't try to understand more than I can. I'm a tiny, insignificant organism on a tiny insignificant planet in an endless universe filled with more of them. I can't understand everything, like the "source" of everything. Who knows if there even is one.

It's not possible to explain everything, but it doesn't hurt to make up crazy ideas for it.

_____________________________________

Michael Vampire avatar and Sasuke signature made by me

Feel free to ask me any questions if you have any!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://therelaxationzone.forumotion.com
thomas

avatar

Male Pisces Buffalo
Posts : 178
Age : 20
Birthday : 1997-03-13
Activity Points : 2350
Reputation : 2
Favorite Game : SSBB

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:51 pm

Then why hate on religion?

_____________________________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZXoftheDarkness
Head Admin / Founder
avatar

Male Aries Rooster
Posts : 460
Age : 24
Birthday : 1993-04-09
Activity Points : 2891
Reputation : 3
Location : Writing
Favorite Activities : Writing, Listening to Music, Graphics Design, Modding, Gaming, Watching Anime, Hanging with Friends, Singing, Photography, Music Composition and Sleeping
Favorite Game : Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:52 pm

thomas wrote:
Then why hate on religion?

Making up crazy ideas is one thing, believing they are actually true is another

_____________________________________

Michael Vampire avatar and Sasuke signature made by me

Feel free to ask me any questions if you have any!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://therelaxationzone.forumotion.com
thomas

avatar

Male Pisces Buffalo
Posts : 178
Age : 20
Birthday : 1997-03-13
Activity Points : 2350
Reputation : 2
Favorite Game : SSBB

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:54 pm

Hardly.

_____________________________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZXoftheDarkness
Head Admin / Founder
avatar

Male Aries Rooster
Posts : 460
Age : 24
Birthday : 1993-04-09
Activity Points : 2891
Reputation : 3
Location : Writing
Favorite Activities : Writing, Listening to Music, Graphics Design, Modding, Gaming, Watching Anime, Hanging with Friends, Singing, Photography, Music Composition and Sleeping
Favorite Game : Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:55 pm

thomas wrote:
Hardly.

Think of Greek Mythology

_____________________________________

Michael Vampire avatar and Sasuke signature made by me

Feel free to ask me any questions if you have any!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://therelaxationzone.forumotion.com
thomas

avatar

Male Pisces Buffalo
Posts : 178
Age : 20
Birthday : 1997-03-13
Activity Points : 2350
Reputation : 2
Favorite Game : SSBB

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:56 pm

ZXoftheDarkness wrote:
thomas wrote:
Hardly.

Think of Greek Mythology
Great point. I guess it's the laws of religion and the threats that make it what it is.

_____________________________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZXoftheDarkness
Head Admin / Founder
avatar

Male Aries Rooster
Posts : 460
Age : 24
Birthday : 1993-04-09
Activity Points : 2891
Reputation : 3
Location : Writing
Favorite Activities : Writing, Listening to Music, Graphics Design, Modding, Gaming, Watching Anime, Hanging with Friends, Singing, Photography, Music Composition and Sleeping
Favorite Game : Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

PostSubject: Re: Religion   Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:57 pm

thomas wrote:
ZXoftheDarkness wrote:
thomas wrote:
Hardly.

Think of Greek Mythology
Great point. I guess it's the laws of religion and the threats that make it what it is.

Ya, which brings me back to the point of the separation of church and state. Religion has too much influence in the world.

_____________________________________

Michael Vampire avatar and Sasuke signature made by me

Feel free to ask me any questions if you have any!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://therelaxationzone.forumotion.com
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Religion   

Back to top Go down
 
Religion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Kerli on religion & spirituality
» Quick Question Relating to Religion
» Are there such things as churches/religion in 40k?
» What's your religion??
» Nero's FT List

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Relaxation Zone :: General Discussion :: Life-
Jump to: